Tuesday, November 5, 2013

No Soda November!

Yeah, yeah, I know. It's been awhile. How many times do I say that when I post? I need to get more frequent with posts, but life gets in the way. 

While the guys have "No Shave November," I am doing my own version: "No Soda November." Corny, yes but it is necessary. I am addicted to diet soda, namely Diet Mountain Dew. While on vacation, I only drank water and didn't have a single headache. (If you know me at all,  you know what a huge achievement this is.) So why did I start drinking them when I returned? Habit, I suppose. Soon after, my headaches returned with a vengeance, as did my muscle pain. Well, last week was the wake-up call I needed. My father-in-law had a massive heart attack and has been in ICU. As part of his heart healthy program, he is required to give up Coke. He assumed it was because of the caffeine, but the cardiologist pointed out to him that it is really because of the sodium in Coke. Intrigued, I asked him about Diet Mountain Dew. The doctor informed me that the sodium is even WORSE in the diet drinks. (How many people drink them, trying to be 'healthier'?) Anyway, I made a pact with my father-in-law that if he gives up Coke, I promise to give up my beloved Diet Mountain Dew. 


I am now five days into the "NSN" and I am declaring this as a "NSV" (non-scale victory). Why? Detoxing is hell. It really, really is. The first few days were rough and my headaches were even worse than when I was drinking the battery acid Diet Dew. Now on day 5, I am thinking more clearly, have more energy, my rings are looser and notice my mood is much more even keel, aka less anxiety. Do I still crave the stuff? Somewhat, but I am realizing it is more about the habit of having it than it is the actual drink at this point. Luckily, I have the gals at ShrinkingJeans.net, supporting me and also giving up the poison for the month. And by poison, I mean aspartame. But that's another post for another day. Hey, maybe I'll actually write it this time.

Did I mention I also get to brag to my FIL about how successful I am with this challenge? That's motivation! 

No comments:

Post a Comment